Have you ever felt lonely in a relationship, despite being with someone you love? Like you’re standing right next to someone, but they feel miles away?
It’s a strange and often painful feeling that can leave you wondering if you’re the only one going through it.
But the truth is – loneliness in relationships is more common than you might think. In fact, even the most perfect-looking relationships can be plagued by disconnection and isolation.
So, the million-dollar question is – “Is it possible to move beyond those feelings of isolation and despair?”
Yes, of course. In this post, I’ve compiled a list of 70 powerful relationship lonely quotes that will provide you comfort, understanding, and a better perspective.
So grab a cup of tea, sit back, and let these words wash over you.
Lonely in Love? Find Solace in These 70 Relationship Lonely Quotes
1. The loneliness you feel with another person, the wrong person, is the loneliest of all.~ Deb Caletti
2. The trouble is not really in being alone, it’s being lonely. One can be lonely in the midst of a crowd, don’t you think?~ Christine Feehan
3. It is far better to be alone than to wish you were.~ Ann Landers
4. I would rather be alone with dignity than in a relationship that requires me to sacrifice my self-respect.~ Mandy Hale
5. Love doesn’t die from natural causes. It dies from neglect, disrespect, and abandonment.
6. Being alone is scary, but not as scary as being alone in a relationship.~ Amelia Earhart
7. Being single for a long time is not the worst thing that can happen to you. Worse is when you’re stuck in a relationship where you don’t feel like a priority.~ Lauren Levine
8. A broken relationship would make you feel more lonely than when you were single.
9. It’s better to be healthy alone than sick with someone else.~ Phil McGraw
10. It’s heartbreaking to feel lonely in a relationship because you know deep down that love should never make you feel that way.
11. When friendship and trust are absent from a relationship, love just gets lonely.
12. Language… has created the word ‘loneliness’ to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word ‘solitude’ to express the glory of being alone.~ Paul Tillich
13. I am lonely, yet not everybody will do. I don’t know why, some people fill the gaps and others emphasize my loneliness.~ Anaïs Nin
14. I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.~ Henry David Thoreau
15. The saddest part about feeling lonely in love is that the one person you want to be with is right there, but still feels so far away.
16. You will go with me everywhere. When I’m dreaming, you still share my lonely nights.~ Gordon Lightfoot
17. Loneliness is a sign you are in desperate need of yourself.~ Rupi Kaur
18. It is strange to be known so universally, and yet to be so lonely.~ Albert Einstein
19. The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.~ Lois Lowry
20. Sometimes, it feels like the person I love is a stranger, and that’s the loneliest feeling in the world.
21. We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness.~ Albert Schweitzer
22. The eternal quest of the individual human being is to shatter his loneliness.~ Norman Cousins
23. It’s better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone.~ Marilyn Monroe
24. Sometimes, it’s better to be alone. No one can hurt you that way.
25. I feel lonely in our relationship, not because I’m alone, but because we’re not together even when we’re together.
26. The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
27. And in the end, all I learned was how to be strong…alone.
28. If you feel lonely within your relationships, pay attention to this inner warning signal!~ Doreen Virtue
29. I felt her absence. It was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. You wouldn’t need to run to the mirror to know they were gone.~ James Dashner
30. It’s hard to feel lonely in a relationship, especially when you’ve given your all, and it’s still not enough.
31. All relationships have one law. Never make the one love feel alone especially when you’re there.
32. Sometimes you need to take a break from everyone and spend time alone to experience, appreciate, and love yourself.~ Robert Tew
33. Being lonely in a relationship is like drowning in an ocean of love that you can’t seem to grasp.
34. I’m lonely. And I’m lonely in some horribly deep way and for a flash of an instant, I can see just how lonely, and how deep this feeling runs~ Augusten Burroughs
35. The greatest thing in the world is to be able to turn loneliness into solitude and find beauty in it.
36. I never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude.~ Henry David
37. Loneliness is not a curse, it’s a gift. It teaches us to enjoy our own company and to love ourselves.
38. The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone.~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
39. Inside myself is a place where I live all alone and that’s where you renew your springs that never dry up.~ Pearl Buck
40. Loneliness is like a deep dark void, and it can consume you if you allow it to.
41. As I get older I’m more and more comfortable being alone.~ Sienna Miller
42. There are worse things than feeling alone. Things like being with someone and still feeling alone.~ M.W Poetry
43. Remember: the time you feel lonely is the time you most need to be by yourself. Life’s cruelest irony.~ Douglas Coupland
44. When I get lonely these days, I think: So Be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life.~ Elizabeth Gilbert
45. It hurts to feel lonely in a relationship because you’re supposed to have someone who loves and cares for you.
46. Sometimes you have to stand alone. Just to make sure you still can.~ Monica Murphy
47. At the end of the day, I know that I would rather be alone and occasionally lonely and unhappy than in a miserable marriage and lonely and unhappy all the time. I don’t mind being single. In fact, I like it.~ Alana Stewart
48. I’ve always felt lonely, even if I’m in a great relationship or surrounded by my friends and family.~ Jenny Lewis
49. I am stronger than depression, and I am braver than loneliness, and nothing will ever exhaust me.~ Elizabeth Gilbert
50. Loneliness in a relationship is like a dark cloud that hovers over you, even on the brightest days.
51. Being single isn’t the cause of loneliness, and marriage is not necessarily the cure. There are many lonely married people as well.~ Renee Jones
52. I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone.~ Robin Williams
53. All great and precious things are lonely.~ John Steinbeck
54. It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.~ George Washington
55. Loneliness is not about being physically alone, but rather feeling emotionally disconnected from the person you love.
56. Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god.~ Aristotle
57. At the beginning and at the end of love, the two lovers are embarrassed to find themselves alone.~ Jean de la Bruyere
58. Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for.~ Dag Hammarskjold
59. Loneliness is never more cruel than when it is felt in close propinquity with someone who has ceased to communicate.~ Germaine Greer
60. I never realized how lonely I could feel in a relationship until I realized I was the only one putting in the effort.
61. Loneliness is proof that your innate search for connection is intact.~ Martha Beck
62. Deep in my soul, I’ve been so lonely, all of my hopes fading away. I’ve longed for love, like everyone else does, I know I’ll keep searching after today.~ Bob Seger
63. Why must I be lonely in love?~ Dan Fogelberg
64. Some people say love is a losing game, you start with fire and you lose the flame. The ashes smolder, but the warmth’s soon gone, you end up cold and lonely on your own.~ Bob Seger
65. It’s hard to feel lonely in a relationship, but it’s even harder to admit it to the person you love.
66. When you’re lonely in a relationship, it feels like you’re on a deserted island, screaming for help, but no one can hear you.
67. Single’s fun – you don’t have to check in with your girl, but it’s not easy. I do get lonely.~ Tommy Lee
68. Lonely men seek companionship. Lonely women sit at home and wait. They never meet.~ Abraham Lincoln
69. I’m lonely like Adam and you’re evil like Eve.~ Elvis Presley
70. I thought being in a relationship would cure my loneliness, but I was wrong. It just made me feel more alone.
End of the Line
Experiencing loneliness in a relationship can be challenging, but it doesn’t have to be the end of the road.
With the help of these 70 insightful relationship lonely quotes, you can gain a new perspective on your struggles and find the strength to move forward.
Remember, you are not alone in your journey. Many others have gone through the same trials and emerged powerful and more resilient on the other side.
So take heart, and know that you can change your circumstances and create the love and connection you crave.
Whether you’re seeking solace, inspiration, or simply a deeper understanding of the human heart, this collection of quotes has something for everyone.
So keep these words close to your heart, and use them as a guiding light on your path towards healing and wholeness.
Keep shining, mate!